As I was researching the topic of
Digital Citizenship I found it extremely easy to become engulfed with a wealth
of information. So, I decided to narrow
my search to what would pertain to my current students. This decision helped shrink my search due to the
fact that majority of my students are ELL and live in low socioeconomic
environments. Here is a quick snap shot
of the information I found and the background knowledge I have on Digital
Citizenship.
A question that always arises
during any discussion of curriculum is: When will we find time to teach
it? Time constraints really put a clamp
down on all parts of the curriculum. I
have to be creative when adding anything to my day. Our students are growing up in a digital
society and need to be taught about the importance of digital citizenship. Since this topic is not fully integrated into
my curriculum I have made it a point to discuss digital citizenship anytime a
computer is used. This discussion is usually
a quick mini lesson, which pertains to the use of the computer for the
day.
Another question discussed is: How
will it be taught? Keeping the kids
interested and engaged is the biggest obstacle.
Showing them videos or pictures that represent digital citizenship will
catch their attention. In an article by
Jacqui Murray (2013) (http://www.aplatformforgood.org/blog/entry/how-to-teach-your-students-digital-citizenship)
she mentioned to teach kids to treat their digital neighborhood as though it is
their physical neighborhood. I took four
of the topics she discussed into consideration.
Don’t talk to strangers. You don’t know who you are talking to when
you are in a chat room or on Xbox live. Don’t bully the people you are chatting
with. You may not realize you are
hurting peoples feelings, so think before you type. Don’t
get distracted by all the advertisements and bling. You are not the 1 millionth customer and you
did not win the new computer, so don’t click on the ads. Don’t
overdo your time on the computer.
Your mind and body needs to take breaks.
Use the computer in moderation. All
four of these seemed to fit my current students very well. I have discussed each one of these multiple
times and find them extremely important for my kids to know. So many kids today think if they don’t see
the person then everything they type is ok.
The more our technology advances
the more I need to understand how to use it appropriately. Why is it important to understand digital
citizenship? I need to teach my kids
about their digital footprints.
Yesterday words were said on the playground, today these same words are
said but in writing. This digital
footprint is never erased; it is permanent and hard to take back. My students need to understand just because
they removed it from their posts, does not mean it is totally gone. Caroline Knorr (2010) (http://www.commonsensemedia.org/advice-for-parents/be-good-digital-citizen-tips-teens-and-parents)
explained that information cannot be controlled. What you post can be copied, shared, and even
altered. It generally cannot be totally
erased. Finally, I must inform my
students about being in cyberspace. They
need to understand they are talking with an invisible anonymous audience.
Over my vast years of teaching I have been a witness to many changes in the new digital society. Not only do I need to teach my kids about digital citizenship, but I must also teach the parents. Some of my parents did not grow up with all the technology so they do not have the background knowledge. In order to assist them, I thought of creating bulletins on the school website as well as my website to give them resources. I could send home flyers when we go over certain topics in class. There could be a Go Digital” night at school where different computer/internet professionals could be to talk about digital citizenship. I believe if things were offered to our parent’s majority of them would take advantage of it.
Over my vast years of teaching I have been a witness to many changes in the new digital society. Not only do I need to teach my kids about digital citizenship, but I must also teach the parents. Some of my parents did not grow up with all the technology so they do not have the background knowledge. In order to assist them, I thought of creating bulletins on the school website as well as my website to give them resources. I could send home flyers when we go over certain topics in class. There could be a Go Digital” night at school where different computer/internet professionals could be to talk about digital citizenship. I believe if things were offered to our parent’s majority of them would take advantage of it.
You bring up some really good points. I especially appreciate your comment about yesterday's words being said on the playground and today's are digital and permanent. I think many of our students don't realize what that means or how it could effect them later in life. Also, the idea of bulletins or other ways to share information with parents who may not be tech savvy or have the availability of technology is brilliant! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I like your idea of having "mini-lessons" on digital citizenship whenever the students use technology. I think this could be more effective than a unit devoted to the topic because it would be a pervasive part of your classroom. Students would also have the technology in front of them, so it provides a hands-on aspect to each lesson. I also like your ideas for sharing information with parents and involving them in the process. Thanks for sharing your ideas.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your ideas. I liked the thoughts of mini-lessons rather than one large lesson. The students need continual reminders about digital safety and mini-lessons will provide just that. I also liked the idea of having a digital conference for parents where you can offer experts in the field and ways to monitor their child's internet activity. It would work at my school too, if we feed the first!
ReplyDelete