As I started to look into the
different sites for teacher and student collaboration, I began to get a little
lost. There were so many opportunities I
had to really be careful to not spend too much time. Educators of all kinds have posted and shared
lessons and ideas covering the entire gamut of teaching. As a veteran teacher, I wish I had access to
things like this back when I first started.
My first few years would have been so much easier. I always felt as though I was reinventing the
wheel. Now we have thousands of ideas at
the tips of our fingers. It is
reassuring to know when I am stuck with a plan; I can always access a lesson
online to see if it fits my classrooms abilities and needs.
There were a few collaborative
sites for teachers I really dove into deeply.
The first teacher site was Promethean Planet. It is a free site with tons of lessons
ranging all over the curriculum. Many of
the flip charts I viewed were engaging and extremely colorful to attract the
student’s attention. There were also
publisher created resources for a small fee ($5.95). The teacher collaborative site which was the
most intriguing and helpful to me was Teacher.net. While I was here I found loads of lesson
plans, chat boards, projects, job offerings, and classifieds where you could
buy or sell items. This site was almost
like a one stop shop type of place. As
an educator you could get totally lost and absorbed into the amount of resources
that were present.
I found the student collaborative
sites to be very interesting and engaging.
The first site I checked out was Flat Stanley at Flatterworld.com. What a great place for kids of all ages. My daughter came home a couple of years ago
with this project called Flat Stanley.
We mailed him off to various relatives and had them take pictures of him
while he was with them. I thought this
was a great idea. However, I did not
know it was a website designed for student collaboration. FlatterWorld was a great place to find flash
cards, a game for learning your states, an ABC monster to assist with the
alphabet, and even a cool teacher timer to display on the computer or
projector. This site was extremely
friendly, engaging and colorful. One last
aspect I enjoyed was the APPS available for the common core standards. This was at an additional cost, but a great
resource for teachers. A second
collaborative site I viewed was websirationclassroom.com. This site had a subscription fee of $39 a year. It is a great place for students to be able
to gather information, brainstorm, and organize their ideas for a writing solid
project. This site not only was about
the writing process, but also assisted the students with critical thinking
skills.
Today’s technology has really put
educators all over the world in touch with each other. I was impressed with the amount of resources
accessible. Two lessons caught my
attention and I plan to use them in my classroom in the future. Holli Cooper developed the first lesson I
viewed. It was a flip chart on dividing
decimals by powers of ten. This flip
chart was extremely colorful, engaging, and continually reinforced the
concept. Each slide had the phrase “when
I divide my number should get smaller” or “when I multiply my number should get
bigger”. This constant repetition is
exactly what my intensive and ELL student’s need. Jessica Cole wrote the second lesson I viewed
on Teachers.net. Her lesson was a review
of adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing of decimals. It was a real world problem application
involving grocery sales ads. What a
fabulous way to make a lesson relevant and engaging! In the near future I plan to not only use
both of these plans, but also the teacher and student collaborative sites I
viewed. What a fabulous opportunity we
have to be educators in this digital age.
Like you, I could also get a little lost spending so much time looking at the many and varied resources offered to us this week; and, how I wish these resources had also been available when I was a first-year teacher! Sounds like you've found a couple of great tools to use in your classroom. I also thought the Flat Stanley site was well done and engaging. I took a pass on the Teacher.net site due to a lack of time, but now you've raised my curiosity and I'll have to go and take a look. Great post.
ReplyDeleteI would not have made it through my first year teaching without the resources that I found online. I don't know how people did it without technology. I also found myself looking and finding tools that I can bring into my class immediately, I found mine at www.curriki.org. I suggest it, when you have some free time or are looking to mix things up. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete